Welcome to the Australasian Society of Breast Physicians
Welcome to the website of the Australasian Society of Breast Physicians, a small but dedicated professional association founded in Australia in 1990 for doctors who work either solely or predominantly in Breast Medicine, or who have a keen interest in this important field of scope of practice. The main objects of the Society is defined in our 2011 Constitution are to:
- advance education, training and research in the practice of medicine in relation to diseases of the breast;
- determine and maintain professional standards for breast physicians in Australia and New Zealand;
- facilitate the accreditation of those suitably trained medical practitioners who are committed to practising as breast physicians; and
- provide authoritative advice, information and opinion concerning diseases of the breast to other professional bodies, to governments and to the public.
MEMBERSHIP OF ASBP
The ASBP is an independent, non-profit organisation funded entirely by membership subscriptions. There are two main categories of membership:
- Associate Membership, for Registrars and members with a special interest in the field of breast medicine
- Fellowship, for those who undertake the ASBP 5-year training program and successfully complete the ASBP Part 1 and Part 2 examinations, thereby demonstrating a high level of skill in clinical knowledge, physical breast examination, imaging, biopsy techniques, counselling and non-surgical treatment of breast-related conditions.
To apply for membership to ASBP simply download the Application Form here.
Although now regarded by a number of healthcare organisations as a desirable qualification to practise in this area, the FASBP is still to be recognised by statutory Australian and New Zealand health authorities for specialist status. However the Society recommends that all doctors working within the scope of practice outlined above should consider acquiring ASBP Fellowship.